Week #1: Review of Basic Electricity Topics

rjagodowski

Week #1: Review of Basic Electricity Topics

Post by rjagodowski »

This first week we discuss the syllabus and do a quick review of key theories and concepts from your Electric Circuits/Circuit Theory courses.

Here are some topics with which you should be very familiar:

Ohm's Law: V=I*R, I = V/R, R=V/I
Power Formulas: P=I*V = V^2/R = I^2 * R
Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL): The algebraic sum of the voltage rises & drops around any closed loop is equal to zero.
Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL): The algebraic sum of the currents entering and leaving a node must equal zero.
Voltage Divider: VRx = VT * (Rx/RT)
Resistor Color Code

Throughout the course, I will reference the content contained here at electronics-tutorials.ws. You can use the specific sections of DC Circuit Theory and AC Circuit Theory to help in your review.

For the first week's lesson, please read pages 1, 2 & 3 on the following link:
Semiconductor Basics from Electronics-Tutorials

Here are tutorials on Semiconductor Diode Basics 1 and Silicon Diode Basics 2 from Wisc-Online.com, as well as this one on (which has an audio track, so be sure to listen as well as watch) Basic Operation of a Silicon Diode .

We will also spend part of the lecture discussing the equipment being used in lab this semester. The content for the first lab experiment is found Here.

Here's the pdf of a DC Electric Circuits Workbook which might help you refresh many of the topics mentioned above as well. I highlighted many of the key areas presented in EET-110 Electric Circuits 1.
DCElectricalCircuitsWorkbook.pdf
(2.8 MiB) Downloaded 138 times

Here's the AC version of the DC book above by the same author. This is good, but parts do go into deeper mathematical depth than was covered in your EET-111 Electric Circuits 2 course.
ACElectricalCircuitsWorkbook.pdf
(3.19 MiB) Downloaded 127 times

Return to “EET-200 Lecture”