Week #3: Six Sigma; ISO 9001; Problem Solving

rjagodowski

Week #3: Six Sigma; ISO 9001; Problem Solving

Post by rjagodowski »

This week we'll finish discussion on any topics left from Week #1 & #2.

Then a discussion of [urlhttps://info.docxellent.com/blog/main-components-quality-management]Quality Management Systems[/url] and ISO 9001.

6:32 version of ISO 9001 Introduction from YouTube.
and the 2:08:14 version of ISO 9001 Training from YouTube.

We'll spend the rest of the class looking at problem solving strategies.

Problem Solving Process

Before I present some formal topics to address the Problem Solving Process, I'd like to relate my personal experience and observation of students when faced with challenging a problem.
In my experience, the majority of people wish to arrive at a solution in one, swift step. That is, no intermediate writing, research, discussion, planning, calculating. Just a simple "This is the problem and here's the solution." Truthfully, except with fairly simple problems, this process doesn't work. In my observation, though, I often see people then stall, unable to proceed. Staring blankly, not writing anything down, not researching. Almost like they've accepted defeat without really trying. That is, since the answer wasn't immediately obvious, they have already resigned themselves to judging the problem as unsolvable. Stated another way, there sometimes seems to be an inherent fear in making a mistake, and the chosen path is to do nothing, rather than to try anything. This, too, will not get a problem solved. Making mistakes is most certainly a large part of the learning and problem solving process.
So, my recommendation, when faced with a problem in which the solution immediately does not become apparent, is to start writing things down relevant to the problem. ANYTHING that might be relevant. Start writing. Something. Anything Relevant.
As an example: If it's an electrical circuit, start writing Ohm's Law, Power Law, Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL), Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL), Rtotal for series & parallel circuits, redraw the given schematic...ANYTHING that might be remotely related. If you're not sure of the fomulas or theory, then research it. The process here is to jump start your brain into "thinking" about the problem. Writing, then seeing what you wrote, then reading what you wrote, may spark some ideas which evaded your thought process without the physical action of writing. As an added benefit, if this problem happens to be on a quiz or test, your instructor will have an idea that at least you took a stab at it, you understood some aspects of the problem and had a few ideas, as opposed to seeing a blank workspace which suggests you were clueless as to the solution.
This process also aids in the documentation of the problem and it's solution. Accurate documentation is vital aspect of keeping systems operating properly. Once a solution is found to a problem, documenting the process and how the solution was implemented is key for future instances when a similar problem occurs.

So, now this week we will begin with some methods used to develop a problem solving process. There are various ways. I happen to prefer the first method shown, but all may have their merits, or one may be more appealing to you than another.

The 6 Step Problem Solving Process: These steps help formalize the process for solving technical problems. The handouts attached below will hopefully allow you to create a logical process to resolve various problems. Handouts are attached as pdfs here:
6StepSolvingProcess.pdf
(80.73 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
There are other methodologies developed to assist in problem resolution. The POWER and SWOT methods mentioned below often lend themselves to arriving at a resolution for problems of a less technical and perhaps more sociological nature. The tutorials below should be done individually to help assess your personal tendencies toward problem solving.

Here's a link demonstrating the P-O-W-E-R Method Positives, Objections, What Else, Enhancements, Remedies. This is from Wisc-Online.

And here's another tool known as S-W-O-T, Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats. This is from Wisc-Online.

Here's a tool which helps to assess how You (personally) Make Decisions and Solve Problems. This is from Wisc-Online.

Return to “EET-255 Advanced Topics in E.E.T./Automation”