Week #4: (11/2-6) Ch.7 & 8 Hydraulic & Pneumatic Symbols

rjagodowski

Week #4: (11/2-6) Ch.7 & 8 Hydraulic & Pneumatic Symbols

Post by rjagodowski »

This week we will be discussing Chapter 7 in the text on Hydraulic and Pneumatic Symbols & Diagrams.

IMPORTANT (11/6): The second "quiz pack" will be distributed in class today (11/6) and is due on or before 5:00 pm on Thursday, 11/12. If you are not in school on Friday, 11/6, please e-mail me so I can send you a copy via e-mail.

IMPORTANT: A "quiz pack" was distributed in class today and is due at the start of class on Friday, 11/6. This covers material from Chapters 1-4 in the text plus additional content presented in class. If you were not in class today (11/2), please see me ASAP for a copy or e-mail me to receive an electronic copy.

11/2: Basic Hydraulic & Pneumatic Symbols and components. We'll start the discussion by working through this tutorial Comparing Hydraulics and Pneumatics.

Then we'll work through Chapter 7 in the text to look at the various components of pneumatic and hydraulic systems.

Here are a few tutorials on Pneumatic Components:

Pneumatic Directional Control Valves

Pneumatic Schematic Symbols & Flashcards

11/4: Continue discussing pneumatic and hydraulic components.

Control of a Reciprocation Circuit.

To put some perspective on the technical diagrams and content we're learning, I thought this might be a good time to show a recent senior project.

Here is a YouTube video of the Spring 2015 Senior Advanced Automation Bottle Filling Project. Note the use of electrical, pneumatic, robotic, microcontroller and PLC (programmable logic control) components in their project. An electric screw-drive motor feeds the empty bottles. Pneumatic cylinders are used to push & position the bottles into the proper position. A microcontroller is used for table rotation control. An electrically controlled fill valve is used to control the fill of the bottles. A robot is used to screw on the caps. The end-effectors of the robot were made in-house with a Makerbot 3D printer. Pneumatics control the bottles as they drop into carriers. The entire process is controlled by a Click PLC.

11/6: Pneumatic and hydraulic components in Visio. Today you will use Visio in class to create a simple fluid power diagram. The picture of the assignment is below and a template Visio file is also attached so you can download it and begin working. You are to add the necessary lines and position the items correctly. NOTE: The control valve was created out of the Visio symbol library and then "Grouped" into a single component.

In-Class Visio Assignment:

Web link which has diagram: Airlane Pneumatics Limited.

Visio Assignment Template:
Visio Template for DA Cylinder & Valve.vsd
(74 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
Picture of the diagram to be drawn in Visio:
Dual Acting Cylinder & Valve.jpg
Dual Acting Cylinder & Valve.jpg (20.91 KiB) Viewed 3081 times
ajeffers0001

Re: Week #4: (11/2-6) Ch.7 & 8 Hydraulic & Pneumatic Symbols

Post by ajeffers0001 »

Visio Template for DA Cylinder & Valve.jpg
Visio Template for DA Cylinder & Valve.jpg (43.85 KiB) Viewed 3051 times
bsyoder0001